How we found the best VPNs for Xbox One
If you want to use a VPN with your Xbox One, you’ll need one that’s compatible with your router. However, there are many other factors to consider, as we covered in the methodology that helped us identify the best VPNs for Xbox One.
- Servers Worldwide: You may want to unblock a particular Xbox application that is not available in your country. Alternatively, you may choose to connect to a server near your physical location for faster speeds. The best VPNs for Xbox One offer servers in dozens of countries, enabling all of this with ease. These also include servers in Italy, so you can play with Italian-speaking people no matter where you are.
- Speed: If you use your Xbox One for online gaming or streaming, you’ll need high-speed servers to do so without interruptions. Our speed tests have found the fastest VPNs to use with your Xbox One, all of which offer unlimited bandwidth. This is especially important if there is ISP throttling.
- Unlocking: If you’re traveling internationally, you might not be able to sign in to a particular Xbox app. Alternatively, content viewed through a particular app may differ due to geo-restrictions. This is why it is important to use a VPN with strong unblocking capabilities in order to access your favorite content.
- Security: There are some security risks involved with using your Xbox One online. These include DDoS attacks and swatting. You can protect yourself from these risks by using a VPN that encrypts your data and hides your IP address and physical location. All of the VPNs we reviewed include DNS leak protection and a kill switch.
- Privacy: While it is essential that any VPN you use encrypts your data, it is equally important that no identifying logs are kept. Many VPNs claim to have no-logs policies, but we have found that this is not always the case. We analyzed some of the 140 VPN log policies to determine which ones protect your privacy best.
- Ease of use: Unfortunately, to use a VPN with your Xbox One, you’ll need to set it up manually with your Wi-Fi router. The good news is that the best VPNs for Xbox One make this easier than others thanks to the manual setup instructions provided for game consoles. Do you need help? There are email support and 24/7 live chat.
- Value for Money: While they offer all of these features, the best VPNs for Xbox One are often cheaper than VPNs that don’t have them. This is also thanks to the discount coupons on VPNs that we have provided for you. Remember that every VPN also comes with at least a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try it risk-free.
Our VPN testing methodology involves hands-on testing of each VPN to find out if it offers the above (such as speed and security) and to what extent.
Are there free Xbox One VPNs in Italy?
No. While there are free VPNs on the market, we strongly advise against them. There’s usually a reason a VPN is free, and often the explanation is that the service is slow, has far more users than it can handle, and has data-handling practices that allow everything you do online to be tracked.
Some excellent VPNs offer free versions. However, there is always a catch. Some of these free services disconnect after a certain time, with the risk of losing your game progress. Many also have monthly data transfer quotes or speed caps, two things that don’t go along with online gaming.
VPNs that only have the free version have often turned out to be dangerous. Two examples from this category are given in the next section of this review.
VPN to avoid in Italy
Hola is not a real VPN because it doesn’t offer any encryption. The company runs a parallel business that sells VPN access. As a peer-to-peer system, the network is actually made up of the Internet bandwidth of Hola users. The paid version of the system has very few controls, so your IP address could be used by hackers as a cover for DDoS attacks and other nasty activities.
How to set up a VPN on your router for Xbox One
Since it is not possible to install a VPN application directly on the Xbox, we will have to install it on the router. This approach ensures that any device that connects to the network is automatically protected and allows you to bypass the connection limits of VPNs.
Here’s how to set up an Xbox One VPN in Italy.
- Log into your router’s control panel. Most routers have a sticker on the underside or back of the case that has an IP address on it. Type this number into your browser’s address bar and press “Enter.” If there is no sticker, you will often find the correct address by googling the manufacturer’s name followed by “control panel IP address”.
- Since there are many types of firmware for different routers, there is no single guide for setting up a VPN. However, most major service providers offer detailed installation instructions on their websites. Look for instructions for your brand of router and keep this page open in a new tab.
- Follow each step of the process carefully. Do not change anything that has been said, because the risk of making a mistake is very high. If in doubt, contact support and ask them to explain how to proceed.
- Once the VPN is installed, just connect the Xbox to the network as usual. Any device you connect to now should have significantly better privacy and security.
To learn more about setting up a VPN on your router at home, check out our Ultimate Guide to VPNs for Routers.