Last Updated on February 15, 2023 by Tabraiz
Poems have a lyricism with a proper rhythm or flow of words that has a soothing effect. Poetry analysis is an attempt to comprehend the implicit and explicit meanings of the poem. It requires a comprehension of metaphors and figurative language used by the poet to create a writer’s effect. You will have to isolate each part of the poem and examine it to understand the poem’s overall meaning. Poetry analysis requires some skills and techniques to unpack the meaning of a poem. Therefore, this article will guide the literature students on how to write a poetry analysis.
What is poetry analysis?
Poetry analysis refers to the interpretation of poems. Creative language is complex and open to multiple interpretations. It is especially the case with poets, who seldom state what they intend in a clear and perceptible way. They, nevertheless, communicate and interact with readers and compel them to read between the lines. They communicate implicit meanings by employing various techniques to further their goals. These techniques encompass the basic constituents or components of a poem. The poem’s “pattern” comprises of a collection of various language devices used by the poet. Analysing a poem entails dissecting it, looking at its various components such as symbolism, allegory, poetic vocabulary, rhyming, etc. It helps understand how different elements interact to form the poem’s meaning. One can decipher a poem by looking at it in light of its components. Literature students can do poetry analysis by evaluating the interaction between various components of a poem or they can hire masters dissertation writing services.
What things should you consider for writing poetry analysis?
Poetry analysis requires the comprehension of the following factors:
Identify the theme of the poem
There is always a central idea or theme in the poem, and the poets employ figurative language to communicate the central theme. The principal idea and subject matter indicate the poem’s overarching theme.
Analyse the language
The use of language creates and shapes meaning. One must decipher the structural arrangement of the language used in the poem. Therefore, it is essential to ask the following questions:
- What are the various language devices used by the poet?
- What is the word choice of authors? For instance, symbolic, metaphorical and allegorical.
- Which words and phrases represent the imagery?
- What is the tone and mood of the entire poem?
It is important to properly understand poets’ word choices for rhyming and creating lyricism. These word choices refer to alliteration and the use of various syllables for emphasis.
It is important to analyse the poem’s structure and comprehend its framework. The framework of a poem refers to the stanzas, pauses, rhyming patterns, and punctuations.
Audience and Purpose of the Poem
Literature students must properly understand the poem’s audience and purpose. They must consider the following things which are important for poetry analysis:
- Who wrote the poem? What is the effect of the writer’s background on the poem?
- Who was the target audience of the poem?
- When was the poem written?
- What were the political, cultural and social conditions when the poet wrote the poem?
- What is the purpose of the poem?
What steps can you take to write a poetry analysis?
You can take the following steps to analyse a poem. You will have to analyse and evaluate several components of the poem to understand it. Here are some steps you can take to analyse a poem:
Skimming is a reading methodology for mostly prose texts. But you can use this technique to quickly read through the poem and get a general idea of the poem. It will help you identify key ideas and themes of the poem.
Scanning refers to reading to extract specific information. You can scan through the text to extract specific details and key points.
Read the Poem Carefully
After skimming and scanning through the poem, the next step is to read the poem slowly and carefully. The purpose is to identify and comprehend the poem’s subtle nuances and important details. You must evaluate the poem’s title and seek its relevance to the poem’s overall meaning. You can also practice reading it aloud to help you appreciate the rhyming patterns indicated by the syllables. You can also listen to the poetry recitals available on YouTube. It will help you understand the flow of words, pauses and different points of emphasis.
Evaluate the rhyming pattern of the poem
Once you read the poem thoroughly, the next step is to identify and evaluate the rhyming pattern of the poem. You can do the following things to decipher the rhyming pattern of the poem:
- Is the poem written in free verse? Free verse means when the poem does not have a standard meter.
- Use colour or alphabetical codes to label the lines or stanzas. You can use the same colours for labelling the lines that have the identical rhyming structure.
- Identify the similarities and differences in the patterns of the poem
Evaluate the language devices of the poem
Poets often use various language devices to elicit the emotions of the readers. You should examine every word to identify and evaluate the language devices used in the poem. You can do the following things:
- What is the diction of the poem? It means you should examine the choice of words and their interaction to create an emotional effect.
- Analyse the imagery, which means how the combination of various words evokes a sense of touch, smell, taste, sight, or sound
- Identify and analyse various metaphors and similes used by the author in the poem. Compare and contrast the metaphors and similes.
Understand the Context of the Poem
Literature students must attempt to understand the poem’s context for poetry analysis. You can ask the following questions:
- What is the central message of the poem?
- What is the historical background of the poem?
- What were the political and cultural beliefs of the poet?
Poetry analysis is a detailed and step by step process that requires breaking down various components of the poem and evaluating them separately. Literature students can follow the guidelines mentioned above to write a poetry analysis.
Apart from this, if you are interested to know more about Pro Assignment Writing Tips then visit our Education category.