Last Updated on April 14, 2024 by Ali Hamza

There are two kinds of Parent Visa in Australian that lead to permanent residency: Contributory and Non-Contributory. The key distinction between these two sorts is the time it takes to process and the price. The Temporary Sponsored Family Visa is another form of visa that is easier to get but does not lead to permanent residency (870).

Types of Parent Visa in Australia

The following types of parent visas are available in Australia:

  • Contributory Parent Visas
  • Non-Contributory Parent Visas
  • Sponsored Parent Visa

Contributory Parent Visas

Contributory Parent Visas allow you to join your kid in Australia as a permanent resident, with the option of applying for citizenship in a few years. They are known as “Contributory” Visas due to the substantial quantity of money that is contributed at the time of application – roughly AUD 40,000 for the primary applicant. The Contributory Parent Visas are appealing since they are processed much quickly than their counterparts. You can expect to receive the visa in four to five years. Contributory Parent Visas are granted to non-pensioner parents of Australian residents and are classified as follows:

  • Temporary Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 173).  This visa is only valid for two years, after which you must apply for a permanent visa. It permits you to work and study, but it cannot be extended; you must apply for the 143 to do so.
  • Permanent Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143). This is a type of permanent visa. You can apply for this visa directly or first apply for the 173 Visa and then switch it to the 143 Visa.
  • The Contributory Aged Parent Visas are issued to pensioner parents of Australian residents.  You must be of pension age, as defined by Australian legislation, to be eligible for this visa category. They are classified as follows:
    • Subclass 884 Visa.  This is a temporary visa that allows you to stay in Australia for two years before applying for a permanent visa.
    • Subclass 864 Visa. The Contributory Aged Parent Visa has been made permanent. You can apply for it immediately or change from the 884 to the 864.

You must be in Australia when you apply for either of these visas, and you can stay there while the visa is processed using a bridging visa.

Temporary Contributory Visas vs. Permanent Contributory Visas

The Temporary Contributory Visa and the Permanent Contributory Visa are two pieces of the same package. You can apply for a Temporary Visa (valid for two years), and then apply for a Permanent Visa within that time. The temporary visa is normally somewhat less expensive than the permanent visa, but it is still highly expensive, costing up to AUD 30,000.

So, why would someone pay such a high price for a two-year visa?

That’s because after you’ve paid for the Temporary Visa, you only have to pay the difference when you apply for the Permanent Visa. So, if the Temporary Visa costs AUD 30,000 and the Permanent Visa costs AUD 40,000, the payment procedure is as follows:

  1. Request a Temporary Visa.
  2. Pay the cost of AUD 30,000.
  3. Request a Permanent Visa.
  4. Make the final payment of AUD 10,000.

The appeal of the two-step approach is that you can pay the visa cost in smaller increments over a longer period of time.

NOTE: The visa prices in the above example are estimates, not the real fees for Contributory Parent Visas. Visa costs in Australia are subject to change on an annual and case-by-case basis.

Non-Contributory Parent Visas

The 103 and 804 Visas are examples of non-contributory parent visas. While both lead to permanent residency (and, after a few years, citizenship), and the fees are substantially lower, they both take a very long time to process – roughly 20 to 30 years!

  • The Subclass 103 Parent Visa Australia leads to permanent residency. The qualifications for this type of visa are identical to those for contributing visas, however the price is substantially cheaper and the processing time is much longer (up to 30 years). Furthermore, you cannot be in Australia while your application is being processed in most situations.
  • The Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 804) is a non-contributory visa, which implies that permanent residency in Australia can take up to 30 years. However, you must fly to Australia to submit the visa application, after which you will be issued a bridging visa that will allow you to reside there lawfully until the visa is processed.

To be eligible for the 804 Visa, you must be of pension age, similar to the Contributory Visa.

What Makes the Subclass 870 Visa Unique?

The Subclass 870 Sponsored Parent Visa is exclusively granted to parents who want to visit their children in Australia but do not plan to stay. It is only provided for three or five years and can be extended for a total of 10 years. Because it is only a temporary visa, the Subclass 870 Visa has fewer criteria than other parent visas and is completed in a few of months. Other Australian parent visa options, on the other hand, can take anywhere from four to thirty years to process. What makes the 870 Visa unique is that it cannot be converted into a permanent visa type. In fact, having the 870 Visa makes you ineligible for any other long-term parent visa (contributory or non-contributory). After receiving an 870 Visa, you must wait for it to expire, leave the country, and then begin an application for permanent residency.

Pension Age for the Aged Parent Visas

The pension age in Australia is continually growing, thus depending on when you apply, you must be:

  • If you apply before July 1, 2021, you must be 66 years old.
  • If you apply between July 1, 2021 and July 1, 2023, you will be 66 years and 6 months old.
  • If you apply after July 1, 2023, you must be 67 years old.

Parent Visa Requirements in Australia

To be eligible for any of the Australian Parent Visa categories, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have a child who resides in Australia. They can be biological, adoptive, or stepchildren.
  • Your kid must be financially capable of sponsoring you and fulfill the income requirements.
  • Australia must have more children than any other country (except for the 870 Visa).
  • Your child must provide you with assurance of support (except for the 870 Visa).

What Is the Balance of Family Test?

The Balance of Family Test assesses your connection to Australia. To pass the test and be eligible for an Australian Parent Visa, you must have at least half of your children residing in Australia. Except for the 870 Visa, it is a requirement for all Australian Parent Visas and cannot be waived under any circumstances.

Apart from that, if you are interested to know about Visitor Visa Australia then visit our Travel category.