When discussing Green Architecture, we must pay attention to the role of green design professionals. Green design or architecture is the most hyped term in today’s real estate world. It is an approach to constructing buildings with minimum or nil negative environmental impacts.
In short. We can assume that green buildings based on green architectural design attempt to safeguard Earth’s natural resources and promote sustainable living among the residents.
In such buildings. The construction materials, technology used for building and power sources – all of them are eco-friendly and align with the norms of eco-friendliness.
In many countries, green buildings or architecture is just a choice, In such places. Real estate owners opt for constructing such buildings because they are attractive to customers.
In other countries like the United States of America. Constructing a green building is mandatory because, without green building certification, most of the property pieces cannot be sold.
Now that we have almost understood what green buildings and green architecture mean, it is evident that green architects have to apply unique technology and design principles to construct such buildings. It is almost like posing a challenge to the designer to think beyond the box and improve the design using only eco-friendly raw materials. There are several requirements of a sustainable building, and the challenge is to incorporate all its features only through eco-friendly mode.
What is Environmental Design Degree?
To become a green design professional, it is recommended that the person holds an environmental design degree. This degree is curated chiefly for pre-existing designers or architects who need some specialisation to learn about designs that are best for the environment. This degree teaches students to use spaces sustainably. The degree aims to help designers develop model buildings that are good for the residents and the environment. There are extended copes of this degree and learning such as – urban planning, sustainable interior designing and advanced architectural modelling.
You must be thinking about what an environmental design degree teaches you. Well, it encompasses the following domains:
- History of Architectural techniques and technology
- Planning and analysing the Site
- Drawing skills
- Landscape Technology
- Sustainable power and resource usage
- Graphic design
- Applied Ecology
- Environmental science and impact
- Eco-friendly Management and maintenance of the building
The difference between ordinary architects and green designers is that – a green architect will continuously monitor the impact of the design on the environment and try to create a building that is good for humans and the planet. Sustainable design talks about a positive correlation between humans and the environment. It focuses on greater consumption of renewable power sources like solar, wind, and geothermal energy and lesser dependence on non-renewable energy sources. It minimizes waste production and helps in establishing productive environments.
The target of any green architectural design can be listed as follows:
- Optimise the usage of the land site for the building without any wastage. The green design aims to fully utilise space with minimal wastage of land and available resources. The first step of any green architecture is land assessment because not all land areas are suitable to support an environment-friendly sustainable design.
- Minimise the usage of non-renewable sources of energy in building and construction technology. Green design and construction focus on higher use of renewable energy sources. The raw materials for construction and the construction technology should all be environmentally friendly.
- Minimize water consumption and mitigate its wastage. Building construction requires a vast water supply. Gallons of water are needed to construct a building. Green building construction technology tries to use as less water as possible and also conserve water as much as possible on the construction site. While offering green building certification, the authorities especially emphasise optimal water usage and nil water wastage during construction.
- The operational and Maintenance practices should be eco-friendly. When constructing green buildings, the spotlight is on creating a sustainable living space for the residents. This is not possible unless the maintenance of the building becomes eco-friendly. Green buildings must be eco-friendly from all aspects – construction and maintenance.
Connect with the best green building certification companies that are a hub of green design professionals and experts who can help in green building construction and accessing a green building certificate quickly and hassle-free.